Tuesday 10 July 2007

Councillor John Martin Allen

Today, my wife Ann and I attended the funeral at Parc Gwyn Crematorium of Cllr John Martin Allen, the former Liberal Democrat Leader at Pembrokeshire County Council.
Yes, this has no actual bearing on the petition, as it is non-political and I have done my utmost to keep it that way.
I have not even seen John for probably 3 years, but my political involvement in the PAST was with the Liberal Democrats BEFORE we moved to Pembrokeshire. Since moving to Pembrokeshire, I have kept out of active politics. That was my past.
So why am I bringing this up on my blog. Well, the funeral was a humanist service and the first I have ever attended. It was so nice to hear about the person and all his activities and what everyone thought of him.
However, it was his political activities that made me realise how John Allen worked as a Councillor, the same way as I did. I will always be courteous, but also prepared to forcefully make the point and hear other people's points of view. Like John, I have no intention of giving up on this matter. I will keep coming back and NOT give up.
John Allen had his principles and this is what keeps me going - ensuring fairness and standing up for what is right.
THE CLEDDAU BRIDGE TOLLS ARE NOT FAIR AND THEY CERTAINLY ARE NOT RIGHT FOR THE PEOPLE OF PEMBROKESHIRE.
John Allen may have died, but I will act with the determination of John Smeaton, the hero at Glasgow airport. John Smeaton stood up to the terrorists, I will stand up to those who wish to maintain the status quo with regards the unfair stealth tax (aka Bridge Tolls!).
John Allen - rest in peace ...

No comments: